St. Joseph Parish was founded in 1860. Originally founded by Irish Catholic laborers working to complete the North Missouri Railroad, it became a viable parish with the arrival of German immigrants in the 1870s. They came at the urging of a Catholic priest who preached about the availability of good farmland in the area. The choice of a name for St. Joseph Parish was influenced by the fact that a good number of the homesteaders came from St. Joseph Parish in Westphalia, Missouri. They brought with them an idea of utmost importance, their belief in Catholic education. The Catholic school became and is the backbone of parish life. St. Joseph School celebrated the completion 125 years of Catholic education in 2010. The parish & school has fostered many vocations to both the priesthood and religious life and is especially honored to have been the training ground of Maryknoll Bishop Adolph Paschang, the "Little Bishop of Charity."